Suggest remedies for severe earache in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 9 year old grandson has a terrible earache. He has been crying for 2 hours. I gave him 2 children's aspirin and tried tea tree oil but it seems worse.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should provide relief

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

The first thing to ask is whether your grandson has cough and cold. If that is the case, the thin internal connection between the inner throat and middle ear could have got blocked with mucus. In such a case taking steam inhalation should help in diluting the cough and should help be equalising the air pressure on both sides.

In any case it might be a good idea to get him evaluated by a doctor.