Suggest remedies for severe ear ache caused by an ear infection

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Dr.
I went back to the nurse practitioner like you suggested. The Left ear infection is ok now, no red. But the right ear still hurts a lot; she said it's "shiny". I don 't know what that means?
The eustachian tube is still blocked. After lying on the right side for a while with ear on a pillow, it hurts worse & gets very red.
Help pls. Thans so much, XXXXXXX XXXX

For Dr. XXXXXXX Bhati please. Sore throat is gone, occasional cough. Sometimes a lot of phlegm at back of throat. Thanks so much. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
The ears appear to be healing.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The repeat ear drum examination shows that the left ear is healing.

2. The normal appearance of the ear drum is shiny, pearl white and translucent. There is also a normal 'light reflex' seen where the examination light shine back at 4 o'clock in the right ear and at 8 o'clock in the left ear.

3. Since the right ear drum looks normal, but the pain persists, get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (I/a or Tympanogram) done.

4. If these tests are normal, the ears will heal with medication.

5. If these tests are abnormal, a procedure known as myringotomy (with or without a ventilation tube) can be done. This can also be done if the problem persists after medication for a few weeks.

6. The ear blockage after lying down suggests eustachian tube blockage. However this should be transient and along with the other symptoms, this will settle down after treatment.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 hours later
what kind of medication will help the right ear heal please? Over the counter?

You need to know she did not let me take Tramadol while on the Avelox antibiotic; she said it would cause heart arrythmia together. So I had to stop the tramadol.
Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most of these medications are available OTC.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Steam inhalation, anti allergic medication, medicated gargles (such as Betadine) and OTC nasal decongestant drops ( 0.1 % Xylometazoline ) will help reduce the pain and discomfort. These drops should only be used for a few days.

2. You can discontinue the tramadol, though heart arrhythmia is not common with this combination.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad