Suggest remedies for severe constipation

Gastroenterologist
Question
Question to follow after brief facts:
I am frequently constipated. I am also confined
to a wheelchair in a dementia care facility and I am totally immobile & incontinent. As a result, the house Doctor put me on Milk-of-Magnesia every other day and Colace every day to soften my stool. Unfortunately, I still go 2-3 days without a bowel movement. My stool doesn’t freely come out, so I stick my finger in my rectum several times to pull it out. The house Dr thinks that because I have dementia, I don’t have bodily control over excreting my feces. He is OK with the finger insertion.
Question: Do you have any suggestions to help me? I cannot visit a specialist unless it is in conjunction with a hospital stay.
Wed, 30 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use Polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution.Impaction of stool is there.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query,

Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution is used to empty the colon. PEG-ES is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives. It works by causing watery diarrhea so that -the stool can be emptied from the colon. The medication also contains electrolytes to prevent dehydration and other serious side effects that may be caused by fluid loss as the colon is emptied.Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution (PEG-ES) comes as a powder to mix with water and take by mouth.You have to drink one 8 ounce of PEG-ES every 10 or 15 minutes, and to continue drinking until your liquid bowel movements are clear.It will clear your bowel.
Please try it and inform me.
Its Over the countre.

Thanks!

Follow-up: Suggest remedies for severe constipation 12 hours later
We tried Peg-es (Miralax) in the past and it did not work well enough. Then we went to the present MoM treatment. When this doesn’t work, we are poised for a suppository or enema.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up dear patient,
In that case go for manual evacuation of bowel and take a laxative along with it.
Enemas could be used as and when required.
Regards!