Suggest remedies for severe arthritis pain

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What are the best meds for excesive pain?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There's quite a bit for this answer

Detailed Answer:
Fundamentally, it depends on why there is pain.
If it is dental, then that's a separate issue. If it is on the surface of the skin, that is a separate issue. These can be directly got at. Localized treatment means the pain can be treated with huge doses of medicines and virtually zero of it will get anywhere else. This allows many medications that otherwise cannot be given to treat the pain.

Then, there's everywhere else. Fundamentally, the problem becomes a trade off between the effects of the drug on the pain and the effects of the drug everywhere else.

If it is an acute inflammatory condition, anti-inflammatories (or ice pack) are quite effective. BUT at the risk of stomach irritation and effects on the kidneys.

If it is a nerve that is irritated, first maybe there is a way to get the nerve to not be irritated. Then failing that, there are quite a lot of nerve pills that will work. This includes essentially all anti-epileptics, also lidocaine, also drugs which are often classed as "muscle relaxants", and others. ALso TENS units.

If it is a sore muscle, then anti-inflammatoires as mentioned, and perhaps muscle spasm medications or also, oddly enough, parkinson's disease medications.

Non-acute disk disease is a bit difficult to treat. All of the medications above oculd be tried. Frankly, not treating the pain but going after improved function with occupational and physical therapy has had the best success.
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 47 hours later
The main pain areas are from arthritis,muscle pain, joint pain, bone pain, and what has done so far @Mayo in Eau XXXXXXX WI has done very little to relieve the pain. I know this it a big subject but she is in a lot of pain ad we're looking for something that might lower the pain level.If you have any referral hospitals or clinics that speciaize in pain management please let us know.

Thank You in advance,

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few points.

Detailed Answer:
Muscle and joint pain can be treated both by overall medications (generally an anti-inflammatory and there are a lot of them) or by localized injection into a particular joint. It is important to check for thin bones in the context and vitamin D and other bone medications can both be helpful to the pain and also prevent bone fractures.

In Wisconsin, the State teaching hospitals would be a good resource for most medical issues.
So... aspirin like drugs and try many different ones.
Check on bone mineral density
and teaching hospitals are likely to be helpful