Suggest remedies for severe acne on nose

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Dr,

My nose is very prone to big red acne. There are "periods" where big red acne developed. Sometimes, after I ate spicy food, inadequate sleep or felt heaty. They will come.

Other times, when I rub my itchy nose or if my friend play a joke on me by squeezing my nose. Very soon , one part of it will swell up a little red patch with pain when touch. Then few days later it will develop to big red acne with pus.

Can u tell me why it happens and how do i stop this reaction altogether ! I'm at wits end!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest oral isotretinoin for you

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern

Nose has lots of sebaceous glands and is the oiliest part of face. This is one of the reason that this area is prone to acne.
If i was the treating doctor i would start you on oral retinoids i.e Isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is sebostatic and reduces the size and activity of sebaceous glands and thus helps people with acne and oily skin conditions. In addition to oral isotretinoin i would suggest you to apply topical benzoyl peroxide 2.5% gel for active acne.
These are prescription medications and i suggest you to use them under supervision of a dermatologist in hour vicinity.