Suggest remedies for severe abdominal discomfort

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My friend has had SEVERE discomfort in her stomach for the past 18 hours. She has eaten fiber, used Gas-X and a stool softener to relieve the pain in her stomach and to no avail. The pain has been steady and constant for the past 18 hours. I am seriously worried about her as she will not entertain the idea of visiting a physician yet.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your history and description, she needs hospital assessment. If the pain is in the epigastric region then an EKG can be done primarily to rule out any cardiac cause. PPIs and antispasmodics can be administered intravenously to counter a severe episode of GERD/Gastritis. Abdomen should be examined for signs of peritoneal irritation, guarding , rigidity and rebound tenderness. x ray erect abdomen, chest x ray , ultrasound abdomen pelvis and serum amylase should also be sent as part of the workup. OTC PPIs are available, she can avail Prilosec for now and go to an ER immediately.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil