Suggest remedies for severe abdominal cramps and diarrhea

Dr. Ahmad Nazzal

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had an attack of cramps and diarrhea last night. During the night I have constant cramping and gas. It has sent me to the toilet many times. This morning the same has continued but there is bright red blood when passing gas - no more stool. I've taken immodium as well as pepto bismol. Is there anything else to do?
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stay hydrated

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for trusting us in HCM with your question.

It is important that you stay hydrated drink water, soup, minerals. Since with diarrhea there is a possibility of dehydration.

You need to get a stool sample; to make sure no dangerous bacteria is the reason for such symptoms. If bacteria is identified a course of antibiotics is warranted.

The bright blood might be due to hemorrhoids since straining with diarrhea can provoke hemorrhoids.

So stay hydrated, if symptoms persist you need to visit your doctor to get stool analysis and course of treatment depends on the results.

Kind regards,
Dr. Nazzal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad