Suggest remedies for sarcoidosis and atrial fibrillation

Posted on Thu, 6 Oct 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Over the past few days I have been experiencing a burning sensation when swallowing, at night I have mild heartburn. I take a prescription med for reflux and have a diagnosis for afib and sarcoidosis.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Persistent reflux

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

you are concerned about still feeling burning when swallowing despite taking medication for GERD. More than likely you are still having GERD and burning of the esophagus from the acid going up into your throat. I have the following recommendations to help reduce this.
1. Elevate the head of your bed by 3 inches. By putting a XXXXXXX under the Head of your bed the extra incline will help reduce acid from rolling up into your throat while laying flat. Extra pillows do not help. You need to have the total bed at an incline.
2. Do not wear tight clohting
3. Take your pantoprazole in the morning on an empty stomach and eat 30 minutes later. If you do not follow this then the medication can not work properly
4. Take tagamet or zantac at night prior to sleep for added protection
5. Lose weight if you are overweight.

If you follow the above suggestions that should help reduce your GERD

If you still have GERD symptoms then you may need to see your doctor and have additional testing like an EGD to see if there are ulcerations in your esophagus

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Dr. Ronald Schubert