Suggest remedies for red bumpy rash under the breast

Posted on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 in Skin Rash
Question: Red bumpy rash under my breasts and were legs meet body. Had for several weeks. have treated with over counter rash creams/lotions, even tried creams for diaper rash. Gets a little better, then comes back, never goes away completely.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
intertrigo

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that this may be intertrigo.

Intertrigo refers to inflammation of the body folds.

The body folds would be under the breast, in the groin area, in the axilla.

It is due to friction, heat and moisture. Reduction of these components along with treating the inflammation and any infection that may also be present, would help.
Fungal or/and bacterial infection can also sometimes occur along with the inflammation.

Treatment involves: (a) wearing cool clothes, avoiding any occlusive clothing
(b)Expose the folds to air whenever possible and separate with cotton or linen material whenever you can
(c)use a barrier protection agent such as petrolatum, zinc based creams eg desitin
(d)an anti fungal cream and anti bacterial may also be needed
Eg of anti fungals-ketoconazole, miconazole, nystatin, miconazole

Combination creams such as triple paste such as petrolatum, zinc oxide and aluminum or XXXXXXX go-nystatin, hydrocortisone (reduces inflammation), zinc, may be helpful

Summary:(1) reduce heat, friction, moisture, any infection
(2)use barrier protection
(3)anti fungal , anti bacterial and short use of a steroid cream may help

Treatment would generally be needed for at least 2 to 4 weeks

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
only help you provide was a name for the condition. I have changed to using boyshorts to reduce friction. Have put soft papertowel sheets under lower part of bra. Have used Fluocinolone Acetonide USP, 0.025%Cream I had received from a doctor last fall for a different condition. I have used Desitin and Cortizone 10. Still not helping. Like I said, it gets a little better at times but does not clear up. I shower daily and shower right after working out.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need an anti fungal and antibiotic as mentioned, need to d/c steroids

Detailed Answer:
HI

If there is no help with topical solutions then you may want to consider oral agents for a short time.
This means a prescription from your doctor for oral antibiotics or/and oral anti fungals if both types of infections are present though no topical anti fungal or topical antibiotic was mentioned in your list.

The steroid cream , as mentioned, should only be used for a few days because persistent use of a steroid cream would actually prevent healing by suppressing the immune response. This is the reason said should be used for a few days only.
This means if the fluocinolone should be used for only three to five days XXXXXXX for this condition , the same for the cortizone.

Both of these would have cause issues if continued

Summary: consider stopping the steroid creams if you have been using for a prolonged period
Add an anti fungal topical or if you prefer, oral
Consider a topical antibiotic or oral if you prefer
continue the separation that you can been doing, that it would help

Please feel to ask anything else
Dr. Michelle Gibson James