Suggest remedies for recurrent loose motion in an infant

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi.. My son is 16 mnths yr old. Basically i resides in UAE but i came XXXXXXX for vacation. From the day i came here my son is having loose motion due to lactose intolerance.I am continuosly in touch with doctor. At times it is cured but from last two days it is again happening. As per my paed advice i am giving him Zerolac.. Probiotic and zinc is also given to him. But i don't why it is still same as 1 and half month before. I am taking all the prcautions. Kindly suggest and help.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please answer my questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi.....You said it is one and half months of diarrhea. I have a few questions for you.

1. What was his weight before this diarrhea started and what is his weight now?

2. How is his urine output?

3. How is his general activity?

4. Is there any blood in the stools?

5. Can you tell me his current weight, length and his exact date of birth?

6. Is there any persistent vomiting?

7. Is this diarrhea occurring immediately after feeds?

Please get back with answers so that I can guide you further.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 11 minutes later
He was 10.4 kg before now he is 10 kg. His urine is also normal. His stool is just watery and greenish in color. He is behaving normal as other kids do. He hasn't vimit yet. His dob is 8-4-15. Not yet found blood in poo. Not just after feed but he does more than 5 times. And since 2 days his stomach seems tight with gas.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral diarrhea - weight loss indicates mild dehydration

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I have calculated the weight according to his date of birth. It is at 15 percentile, which is normal.

In percentile calculation, anything between 5th to 95th percentile is normal.

So do not worry about his weight. But the loss of 400g is suggestive of mild dehydration.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.
There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.
I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).
Regarding diet - You can use cerelac...any flavour will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar