• question-icon

Suggest remedies for recurrent cold in a 4 month old infant

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi, I want to know that my 4 month old kid recurrently has cold/seasonal viral, it progresses to coughing with or without phlem. What is the role of nebulisation in early treatment in this case.
He was admitted in hospital when he was all of 3 months with cough and no milk intake vomiting and higher breathing rate.
One doc says give maxtra and does not advice for nebulisation
On second opinion the doctor recommended nebulisation and no maxtra below 2 years. Help what should I do for the kid to relieve him of cold and cough and increase his milk intake. This time he has fever ranging from 99.6 to 100.6
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maxtra caj b given when indicated in correct dose

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the post.
I have gone through your post and understand your concern.

First of all a 4 month old baby can !get respiratory infections at least 3- 4' times in the first year
It is usually viral or allergic!
To prevent this u can do the following
1) Please avoid many people handling the baby
2) anyone with cold and cough or running nose should not go near the baby
3)Avoid others and strangers kissing the baby
4)Do not expose the baby to crowded places like weddings.malls etc
5)Keep the room where baby sleeps neat and tidy!
6)Reg nebulizer it is indicated only if there is wheezing detected by a doctor.
Otherwise it is not necessary routinely.

Reg maxtra it has anti allergic medicine which can make the baby drowsy. So again do not use unless ordered by the paediatrician.

Any baby with cold and cough will not feed properly during that time ! So give some time for baby to recover. Do not worry!

Hope this helps.
Good luck, God bless u all

Dr uma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Thanks a lot doctor. I want to understand one more thing. As I have seen twice with the baby the cold silently progresses from minor coughing or fever to loud noised cough and phlem. He refuses milk. what measures one can take to prevent the cold to fireball into baby having wheezing or chest congestion. What are those signs through which I can determine now is the time to nebulize the baby. Secondly what measures I can take once the baby has caught cold/viral to prevent it from turning into a vomiting, milk refusing kid.

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Wheezing causes breathing difficulty.
You cannot do anything to prevent it once an episode occurs. Prevention of triggering factors like cold air, pollens, smoke etc is the only way.
Cover the baby adequately ( not overclothing) with the clothing.
When there is family history of allergy or asthma this happens. Look for any difficulty in breathing, wheezing baby needs immediate medical help.

Hope this helps.
Good luck
Dr.Uma
Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology