Suggest remedies for rat bite on the toe

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: my house help got bitten on his toe by a rat in the night. after 2 days he has fever, what should he do? pl advice
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises strictly without any further delay..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM,
I've gone through your query and appreciate your concern for the helper..

I believe he has seen it, and can confirm if it's a rat or some other Rodent/creature, this is extremely important as management varies accordingly..

First of all, simply clean the area and the wound under running water along with simple soap & water..

Most likely it's a domestic rat , which is hardly dangerous but since he has fever, can't take any chances, so please take him to your nearest Hospital OPD/ Infection control Department for a detailed check-up of the wound as well as whole body(for any other bite mark and/ rashes)..

Generally, rat bite doesn't require any vaccinations, but since he's symptomatic, he may require a complete course of Human Rabies Vaccination, which is to be followed according to the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (Please check with him if previously received any such vaccinations, any doubt/confusion should be treated as per unvaccinated)..

Human Rabies Immunoglobulin 20 IU/Kg Stat dose only (2 divided doses as per protocol) followed by Human Rabies Vaccine on Day 'O', '3', '7' & '14' (starting dose immediately after the HRIG but has to be given at a different anatomical site)
[Day 'O' is the day of first vaccination i.e. toady, and not the day of bite, don't confuse this, counting will start right from the day of first vaccination, and they must not be missed !!]

Along with these, he may require an additional course of either Penicillin(eg. Amoxycillin) or Doxycycline antibiotic course of 10 days (the decision of this to be decided by the Infection Disease specialist of the Dept. after examining the wound locally as well as him-systemically)..

Just follow this at first without any further delay, and let me know how he stays in the due course..

Best Wishes

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee