Suggest remedies for prostate swelling while on Finasteride

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi Thanks
I am taking finasteride to reduce prostate swelling I have been taking it for about 2.5 months now and my skin is very itchy at nights and now sometimes during the day. How can I deal with this?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care, discontinue finasteride, antihistamine and BPH management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Use of finasteride may cause hypersensitivity and itching and rash in very rare case 5 in every one thousand cases. Take some benadryl and discontinue finasteride for a while and see if it helps. If it subsides then it was drug side effect, if not then other dermatological correlations should be considered. For BPH , consult your doctor for other possible management options and see if finasteride is the cause of this itch. They can put all other management options on the table including medicine , minimal invasive surgeries and extensive surgeries depending on the extent of BPH.

For now discontinuing finasteride after approval of your doctor and antihistamines for the itch will help.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 13 hours later

Dr Thanks for your reply. I have stopped this medication in the past because it was given for just a month and I did experience the itching then and now that I have been taking it again for a longer period it has restarted and there was some foot swelling sometimes.

Can you please give me some general info on minimal invasive surgery and the success and risk of this option?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minimal invasive options mentioned, finasteride should be stopped

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

For benign prostatic hyperplasia , there are different minimal invasive surgeries introduced and can be tried before elective more invasive ones. Transurethral incision of prostate TUIP, laser treatment ( holmium, thulium, greenlight ), transurethral needle ablation TUNA, high intensity ultrasonographic energy therapy, prostatic stents, laparoscopic prostatectomies, prostate artery embolization by an interventional radiologist , implanted devices to relieve prostate obstruction ( urolift) etc are some of the minimal invasive treatment options for BPH. Let your urologist decide what is best for you, discuss these options with them.

As far as finasteride is concerned, then discontinuing it would be wise as you have previous history with its use.

I hope it helps.
Khan