Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Suggest remedies for priapism

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1255 Questions
I woke up this a.m. with priapism. I know this because it happened before. That time I went to the emergency room, and the urologist removed blood from the penis with a syringe. I would like to avoid the trip to the emergency room. So, just wondering if there are any home remedies I could use. I have taken some sudafed and have run up and down our stairs. I am drinking lots of water since needing to urinate is the issue most of the time. Please advise.

Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
According to the type

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but priapism has two different types which are called low flow and high flow priapism...

While high flow priapism can respond to home remedies such as ice packs prolonged application, on the other hand, low flow priapism will require blood drainage from your Penis in order to resolve.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to differentiate between the two types only by inspection and differentiation requires Doppler ultrasound...

I would recommend that you apply an ice pack for one hour if you don't notice any improvement then go to the emergency room as soon as you can to avoid further complications.

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor