Suggest remedies for priapism

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 5 Jan 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I woke up this a.m. with priapism. I know this because it happened before. That time I went to the emergency room, and the urologist removed blood from the penis with a syringe. I would like to avoid the trip to the emergency room. So, just wondering if there are any home remedies I could use. I have taken some sudafed and have run up and down our stairs. I am drinking lots of water since needing to urinate is the issue most of the time. Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
According to the type

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but priapism has two different types which are called low flow and high flow priapism...

While high flow priapism can respond to home remedies such as ice packs prolonged application, on the other hand, low flow priapism will require blood drainage from your Penis in order to resolve.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to differentiate between the two types only by inspection and differentiation requires Doppler ultrasound...

I would recommend that you apply an ice pack for one hour if you don't notice any improvement then go to the emergency room as soon as you can to avoid further complications.

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee