Suggest remedies for postherpetic neuralgia

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My Dad is 85 years old he has post hepatitis neuralgia. but the the three days he has had sudden very painful episodes that last about 90 minutes in his left side of his back radiating down. That are not caused by movement. Even with taking his pain pills the pain is pretty severe. Otherwise he is a very healthy, active 85 year old. want to know if we should seek emergency services? Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment options listed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

You mean postherpetic neuralgia, right?

Drugs used to treat pain caused by postherpetic neuralgia include antidepressants, anticonvulsivants, analgesics, corticosteroids and antivirals.

Best results about the pain control are achieved by combination of gabapentin with nortryptiline.

Capsaicine patch also helps.

Famciclovir also can be used as an antiviral drug.

Discus with your father's Doctor about use and prescription of these drugs.

If the pain is unbearable, you can go to ER too.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad