• question-icon

Suggest remedies for pimple marks on face and neck

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question:      Hi I am breastfeeding my 7 months baby. I have pimple marks on face and my neck has become dark since pregnancy. Can I use kojic cream. Is it safe for baby as I am still breastfeeding. If not please suggest some safe cream for pimple marks and pigmentation on neck.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
"Post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" or PIH. Various suestions.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the pigmentation over your pimple marks and darkness over your neck after pregnancy.

After analyzing your query let me tell you certain basics of this pigmentation. There are two important factors involved in the pigmentation and darkness of these areas:

1. Genetical Melanosis: The pigmentation at the facial areas and neck is genetically determined. To tell you simply, the darkness is due to the activity of melanocytes in the skin. These melanocytes are the cells which regularly produces color/pigment known as melanin in the skin. These are superficially present in the upper skin known as epidermis.

This is a tendency in us to get higher activity of these melanocytes at the facial area or neck area according to our genetic make up. It is seen on higher side in people of Asiatic origin. During and after pregnancy there is higher activity of hormones which leads to this kind of pigmentation. Increase in weight is also one of the important cause of the same.

2. The pimple marks are more prominent by the process known as "Post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" or PIH. The facial area is prone for sun damage and it causes over production of melanin in the skin. This cause more prominent pimple marks.

There are certain medication which helps out in reducing these kind of pigmentation. If I were your treating dermatologist then would have prescribed a cream (under dermatological supervision) containing Kojic acid with arbutin and mulberry extract in it. I suggest my patients to apply this creams in a very thin layer at night time only so that these should not be visible to naked eye. Apply at night time before sleeping. It is quite safe in post pregnancy period.

Sun protection is a must and a proper sun screen should be used. Diet is also quite important in reducing the pigmentation. Good diet not only helps in renewing the skin better as well as works best to protect our skin. You can eat a lot fruits and green leafy vegetables in your daily schedule. Reduce your weight if on your higher side.

I hope this information will help you in getting rid of pigmentation marks. I will be glad to reply any further queries. I wish best and early recovery,

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology

Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 33 hours later
I have bought kojivit gel is it safe or u will prescribe some other cream
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reduction of weight along with good diet.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back and thanks for your further follow up.

The gel is safe but is always to be used under medical supervision. I suggest my patients to apply in the minimum possible amount. A pea size amount of cream is sufficient for the palm size area. It is to be applied at night time only.

Reduction of weight along with good diet is also very important.

I hope his helps.

With glowing skin wishes.

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 hours later
Will u suggest specific diet. What should I do loose weight I am 5 kg overweight.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Combination of proper diet and exercise.

Detailed Answer:

For the reduction of weight I suggest my patients to do mild exercises along with yoga on daily basis. A proper diet is most important to maintain and reduce weight. Reduction of more sweets and oily food is important. An abrupt reduction is also not recommended as you are feeding.
Eat more of salads and natural food with fruits which are easily digestible.

I hope this helps.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist