Suggest remedies for persistent pain in the Achilles tendon

Posted on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son is a highschool basketball player.
Hes 16 years old, 185lbs, and (6 ft 3 in) tall.
Hes been growing tall for a few years and was just tall but pretty thin ( no hair under arms until this last year so hes not an early bloomer).
Within the last 90 days hes putting on quite a bit of weight(good weight, hes in great shape) from begining to fill out.
I estimate about 15-20lbs.
Hes not real quick so we hired a speed and mobility coach to increase his athleticism.
Last weekend he said he felt a minor pain in his achillies when doing jump exercises.
The pain was minor on incident and he only felt it when jumping. He couldnt feel any difference just walking around.
We did ice and a dose of advil and it went away. He practiced at school all week and i checked daily if he felt any pain at all and he did not.
He started working with his movment coach again and he said he felt the same little pain but to a lesser degree again.
The pain is only when jumping and is about 1 inch above the back of the foot.
His pain is about a 2-3 at its worst and running full speed doesnt give him pain, only jumping seems to be able to cause this randomly.
His school trainer said hes not very flexible.
What do you think could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strength, tendoachilles disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

He could be suffering from some sort of inflammation over or around the tendoachilles. It could be retrocalcaneal bursitis, plantar fascitis or tendoachilles strain.

It would be helpful to get an Xray and ultrasound of the heel and tendoachilles region to find the cause.

Till then warm pack application, use of Microcellular footwear and foot and ankle stretched will suffice.

He needs to have a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Drink 2 litres of water daily. Get adequate sunlight exposure to prevent calcium and Vitamin D deficiency. Performing warm up before the sport is very important. Regular massage will also help to increase the blood supply to the muscles.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu Brief Answer:
Rest, Physiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
Yes, they would fit into that list of differential diagnosis.

Do follow regular warm-up exercises, stretching, sense physiotherapy first. Let him take a break from athletics for 2 weeks. If symptoms persist after 2 weeks of rest and physiotherapy, then the scan can be done.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
He said it hurts more on the sides of his achilies about 1/2 inch below his ankle.
Does this fit a certain injury symptom sign?
I agree with the getting scans but he does say the pain is minor.
I know you cant diagnose anything but out of the things you listed, what is the most likely given the area and severity of symptoms
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon