Suggest remedies for persistent headache, cough and cold

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi Doctor,
My wife is suffering from cough and cold. She has bad congestion in her nose. Her cough is pertaining from past 5 months (dry cough). She has bad headache as well because of this. Please suggest.

xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This seems some allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

From your description this seems to be allergy.

I will suggest the following:
- Avoid the allergen. If allergen is not yet known then, avoid any common allergens like dust, cold air, etc.
- Take hygienic food and cleaner drinking water.
- For blocked nose, there are two options. One is decongestant nasal drops like Otrivin. These can sprayed 1-2 drops in blocked nostril upto 2 times a day. Second option is steroidal nasal spray. It is to be tried if Otrivin is not successful and in absence of infection in nose. Example: Fluticon nasal spray in dose of 2 drops in each nostril upto 2 times a day Both types of preparations cannot be used for prolonged periods of more than 8-10 days. Its better to use them only as needed, occasionally.

- For headache, she can take Tab Advil 200 mg 2-3 times a day when needed.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee