Suggest remedies for persistent fever and vomiting in an infant

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 4 Oct 2016 in Child Health
Question: yesterday my kid 2.9 years got fever & vomited once , temperature was 101 F , Docotor suggested dolopar M & vomikid tablet,

dosage for dolopar suggested every 4 hours. Also suggested cepodem Antibiotic, but we didnot give Antibiotic
yesterday we gave vomikid & also giving dolopar M 3 ml every 4 hours. Today MOrning temp was less but evening its increased to 102 degree, he got cold , water coming from eyes & eyes are burning. Also fequently, he is suddenly shakes his body once. Please suggest

please answer quickly
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A few tests need to be done first.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Most often children get high fevers due to viral infections. However, the shakes or chills concern me and could be sign of either urinary tract infection or malaria. I would insist you to get the following tests done.
* Blood for total and differential counts.
* Blood for C-Reactive Protein (CRP)
* Blood for malaria
* Urine for routine microscopy and culture sensitivity
It is only after that should you decide whether to go for antibiotics.

As of now continue to give the other medicines as directed. Irrespective of treatment the fever is likely to remain for 5-7 days. So, be patient. Give Dolopar M when needed to bring down the temperature. Also give tepid sponging.

Feel free to write back.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 hours later
From today morning his temprature reduced to 99 degrees. Sudden shake in his body is reduced & rarely he does now, Tears stopped coming from eyes, but his eyelids bulged from yesterday. Running nose is increased, but he is active comparing to yesterday.
Please suggest if we should still go for any tests.

Last month we took blood test for my kid as doctor suggested, in that Haemoglobin was 11.4 gms% & Eosinophilla present which is 10%. Doctor provided L montus & Banocide 50mg for 1 month(dosage only in evening) & Also provided Liquid Iron & shellcall(Dosage after food morning), which we completed it. This month Doctor told to continue L montus, Liquid Iron, shellcall & provided JusDee 800. Dosage JusDee 800 early morning without food & other same after food & evening L montus. After we started JusDee, he is passing too much gas from back.
Please suggest is anything related to indigestion also or the medicine we are giving its causing any issue to digestion

sorry forgot put
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Questions answered one by one

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Probably it was due to a viral infection. It is good to hear that he is recovering. I would insist you to wait and watch. Things may take another few days before resolving completely. Unless things go downhill you can hold off the investigations. If he is otherwise active and playful you need not worry.

I understand the preceding doctor's concerns about the eosinophilia. Although filariasis is a possibility, I would not consider it to be the foremost one for a child of 2.9 years age. Rather I would have tried deworming first. The next step would have been to look for allergic manifestations. I would insist on getting a second opinion after the current episode resolves.

I do not think that the 'passing of gas' is an effect of the medicines. I would insist you to give him curd or yogurt on regular basis and also to increase the amount of green leafy vegetables in his diet.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 27 hours later
Thank you Doctor for suggestion

Can we stop L montus ? Does it have any side effect if we stop ?
And continue JustDee, Liquid Iron & Shell Call ? please suggest & till when we should continue vitamin & calcium .

yesterday he did little motion(it not motion but only Mucus came),he was unware of it as it came like gas, Till today night he has not gone to bowel.
Is it due to Worms in stomach ?

Today also his temperature is 99 degree but he is active.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Questions answered one by one

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for not being able to respond faster.

Stop L Montus 3-5 days from when you started it. You should continue with JustDee. I cannot comment on the requirement to continue Iron and Shelcal (calcium) without a proper clinical evaluation. You may stop the vitamin supplement if you like.

Although you may feel free to periodically deworm you baby I do not think that it was due to worms in the intestines (worms do not reside in stomach).