Suggest remedies for persistent fever and convulsion in an infant
Need some more information
I understand your concerns but do not worry. I would like to know in detail about your child's illness before suggesting a proper line of management:
- What was the frequency and severity of fever spikes in earlier and present episode.
- on what day of fever did the convulsion occur. What was the type of convulsion as per your pediatrician assessment. Was it just a typical febrile convulsion which involved shaking in all limbs and lasting less than 15 minutes with immediate regain of consciousness.
- did he suffer from any associated symptoms such as vomiting, poor activity and altered sensorium.
- Is there any past history or family history of convulsions
- what medications did you give for previous spikes of fever and convulsions.
- does he have any history of recurrent coughs and breathlessness or allergic tendency.
- You may upload the reports and prescription for my review as well.
I know the list is long but it's important for the best possible line of management.
His fever started from 2/03/2016 and frequency of fever was 5-6 hours after and within 5 days he was okay and for two days he went to school but after this he had cold and fever ,on 13 march he had fever only one time and second day two times but now his fever comes after 9-10 hours but i keep on checking his fever the moment his fever goes to 99.4 i gives him the flexon.
According to docter it was febrile convulsion
no allergy and nothing like vomiting etc happend to him
Start an antihistamine along with the prescribed drugs
Thanks for your reply. The symptoms and their progression is in favour of viral upper respiratory tract infection as the most likely diagnosis.
I would recommend you to continue with ibugesic or flexon for fever spikes. You may repeat the dose every 8 hours if the spikes persist.
Antihistamine such as Syp. Maxtra or T minic will be more helpful than Laveta M for relief from cough and cold. Laveta M is more of help in recurrent coughs due to chest congestion.
Ensure plenty of oral fluids and good healthy diet. There is no need for any laboratory evaluation at present. If fever spikes (more than 100 degrees fahrenheit) persists even after 3 days, then consider CBC, CRP and throat swab culture to rule out bacterial infection.
Hopefully it will be of help. I would be happy to help you with any further questions.
but my son is not having cough
he is having cold and no running of nose
today only i went for blood test which includes
Mantoux test, CBC, malarial parasites, Widal, S.G.P.T, urine ,X-ray, ultrasonography-abd& pelvis
i m worried abt the convulsion because it was very scary
it was the second time he had convulsion
i have heard about some spray could u plz suggest some spray
The doc said if he is having 100F then give him frisium with fever syrup
i am not able to sleep in night because of the fear that if he had convulsion then i wl not be able to know
Intranasal Midazolam spray
I understand that it's extremely stressful for you as a parent. But don't worry. Febrile seizures do not harm the development, neurocognitive function or scholaristic performance of a child. Most kids outgrow it by 5 years of age. There is only 30% chance of recurrence. You may give frisium for first 2 days of fever along with paracetamol to prevent it. A midazolam nasal spray can be used if the seizure occurs.
Ibuprofen/flexon along with antihistamine can be taken for cold and fever.
You may upload the reports for my reference so that I may help you in the best possible way.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for persisting fever even after using medications
- Suggest treatment for persistant fever with cold and sore throat
- Causes of persistent fever
- Infant with persisting fever not responding to flexon malaria
- Persistent fever
- Suggest treatment for persistent fever with cold and stomach upset
- Suffering from cough chills fever taking tylenol persistent fever suggestions
- Persisting fever during typhoid treatment advised stopping all antibiotics suggestion
- Persistent fever and headache
- Suggest treatment for persistent fever and sore muscle