Suggest remedies for persistent cough while on DayQuil

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Having cough from past one month. Have taken TusQ tablets and taking NyQuil/DayQuil from past 2 weeks. No improvement. Still cough did not subside or get cured. Severe cough and mucus is my problem, in addition whenever i cough i urine a little bit which is very inconvenient. Request you to suggest next steps and any questions. Currently in US, XXXXXXX Appreciate your timely help and suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Better to get done chest x ray and PFT.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Your cough is not improved with your routine cough medicines.
So we should definitely rule out lung infection and bronchitis in your case.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system, chest x ray and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
Chest x ray is needed to rule out lung infection.
PFT is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis.
You may need antibiotics too.
Please let me know if chest x ray or PFT is done.
Also let me know if you are a smoker.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 28 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for the prompt response and suggestion. I have consulted a pulmonologist yesterday and he had suggested me to get chest X-Ray done. Expecting X-Ray test results tomorrow (Monday). However, he did not suggest PFT, do you think that could be logical next step once doctor examines my X-Ray? i shall await the doctor's recommendation on my reports and get back to you.

is there a home natural remedy you can suggest in the meanwhile to subside my cough, as i'm restless in the nights with severe cough. appreciate any help

I'm not a smoker.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do steam inhalation and warm water gargles 5-6 times a day.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern. Yes, you should wait for chest x ray report.
And yes, I will be glad to hear from you again.
And you should do warm water gargles and steam inhalation 4-5 times a day.
Drink plenty of fluids orally and keep yourself hydrated.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad