question-icon

Suggest remedies for persistent cough in a child

Posted on Wed, 13 Sep 2017
Question: Each night my 7 year okd daughter around 9:30 has these cough spells.She coughs until her eyes running water and she even vomits from time to time.She doesn't have a fever and is in perfectly great physical condition. She plays soccer and Dance so I wouldn't think that asthma is the issue.Her Pediatrician said that it was Croup and prescribed Bromphed but it's not doing much .Any suggestions ?? Thanks in Advance
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain (5 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Here giving cough suppressant with bronchodilator will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I can understand your concern.
Croup is an acute condition and as you have described that cough daily at night dies not fit into Croup.
To me it appears to be bronchitis or whooping cough.
Giving cough suppressant like dextromethorphan/codein with antiallergic like cetrizine and some brinchodikator(which helps in relieving airway spasm) usually helps in such cases.
In view of suspected whooping cough/atypical infection I would like to give antibiotic like azithromycin also.
I request you to revisit your doctor or get a second opinion from a different doctor.

I hope this helps.
Wishing for your child's rapid recovery.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar Jain

Pediatrician, Cardiology