Suggest remedies for persistent cough along with headache

Question
Yes. I have had an uncontrollable cough for 6 days, that causes headaches and I feel like i have pulled some core muscles, since my ribs are so sore. Some times the coughing spells last at least 10 minutes. I tried to go to work today and had to out to the garage till I stopped. This doesn't feel like just a regular cold, Please. I hope you have a suggestion.

,
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
a cough suppressant, decongestant

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that you may have bronchitis which is inflammation of the bronchial passages of the lungs, it can be viral or bacterial and it is associated with a persistent cough.

In some cases the cough can be wet.

Coughing can also occur if there is a drip of mucus to the back of the throat irritating the upper airway.
The drip itself is not detected but the person presents with the cough.

You may want to consider a cough suppressant such as dextromethorphan which is found in many over the counter cough/cold medication. You may want to consider one that has the dextromethorphan along with a decongestant. The decongestant is for a post nasal drip if it is present (pseudoephedrine or phenyephrine are the decongestants.

Sudafed.pe contains acetaminophen, dextromethorphan and phenyephrine. There are robitussin products that also contain these ingredients that may be helpful.

A humidifier may also help decrease the coughing.

If you can use ibuprofen or naproxen, one of these would help with the chest discomfort.

If there is no improvement, then you may need a course of antibiotics, some persons also require a short course of steroids to decrease the inflammation in the chest/lungs

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions