Suggest remedies for persistent abdominal bloating

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had a bloated feeling for about a month. I experience no pain, no nausea or vomiting, have a good apetite and have no problem going to the bathroom!..I am a male 67 years old. My fullness or bloated feeling has pretty much gone away but now I find myself short of breath expecially when I lie down....
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety very likely but should rule out heart related shortness of breath

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HCM.
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

It is good you are taking omez and feel better with the bloating and the fullness you felt. I would recommend you to use it regularly as your doctor has recommended you.

The symptoms with the shortness of breath especially when lying down might be of several cause and the two most common ones I would say are
1. anxiety episodes that worsen during night
2. a heart problem that causes what we call orthopnea

it is very likely that the most likely cause of the shortness of breath you are experiencing is anxiety but because of importance you will need a check with your doctor to listen to your heart and lungs and have some tests for your heart like ECG, heart ultrasound and a chest xray.

If the examination and all these tests come out normal than the most likely diagnosis is anxiety and than tips that help with managing those might be helpful. Your doctor might help with prescription in case of anxiety also.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact me in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 42 hours later
I had blood test done on Monday and all seem to be within range EXCEPT for the iron area where I am low on iron...slightly high o BUN (19)....everything feel with range...

Any other things I shouldlook for?

Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment for anemia; have the heart/lung examination and colonoscopy done

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

If iron levels were low, I guess you had low Hemoglobin in CBC (complete blood count) and this is called iron depletion anemia. In this case you should take the iron tablets to treat the anemia and also restore iron stores in your body.

If you have not had a colonoscopy in the last 5 years I would recommend you to have one done as it is recommended to be done routinely after 50 years of age. This will rule out the bowel as a cause of bleeding and resulting anemia.
Fecal occult blood tests are recommended also- if you have 3 fecal occult blood tests test negative for blood than this is reassuring also.
If colonoscopy is normal but it is found blood in your stools with fecal occult blood test than an upper endoscopy to check the stomach would be advisable.

Shortness of breath due to anemia mostly happens during exercise so i am surprised you have it when you lay down. I don't know if you had the chest xray, heart ultrasound and ECG- I would recommend them to you if you have not yet had them done.

If your BUN was a little elevated, this might be ok with age but still I would check it again in a month or two to see if it is changing or not and if there is any worsening. Values 7-20 is considered normal- so just repeat the test in a while to make sure how it is progressing.

I hope this helps you but please feel free to write me in case more clarifications are needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad