• question-icon

Suggest remedies for pain management

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Pain Management
Question: We just moved to SC from FL and I have had a hard time finding a pain management facility. They claim to have a 4-6 week wait after they receive ur files from ur previous doctor which takes 6-8 weeks to provide this information. I have been on my meds for over 5 years
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to find one.

Detailed Answer:
Florida is under extremely close scrutiny for being a center of narcotic over prescription. It is doubtful any doctor in Florida is going to take on a new patient for narcotic prescribing.
http://legacy.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/health/2015/05/05/prescription-for-pain-patients-denied-medication/0000/

While looking for dedicated pain clinics associated with University Hospitals is the best course of legitimate therapy, it probably will not work. Emergency rooms, orthopedists, and seriously consider addiction treatment clinics are alternatives that are not entirely satisfactory, but there are few options likely to succeed in Florida.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist