Suggest remedies for pain in the right ear

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm a 40 yea r old male residing in Simsbury CT. I work 50 hours a week on average. Aim addition I have a 4 year old at one that is only 14 months, as you can imagine way too much to tad and too little time to take case of my self lately...
In a nutshell I have had an increasing level of pain from my upper nest just behind my right ear that raidiates down the back of my right are (specifically mu tricep area)' that gets excruciating and migrates further down to my thum and forefinger which often go completely numb
This started about 5 weeks ago and has gotten progressively worse and occurring more often, now interferes with my home life and career
I really feel I need an MRI of my cervical spine because of my family history, all members of my fathers side of the family have advance degenerative disk disease
Please advise!?

I need an answer now if possible when should I expect an answer.......

Just wondering, if I can't get some direction in the next 10 minutes or so I need to log off and head to the nearest walkin clinic. Not be wired and why
T all due respect I would not have paid a few to sit for a prolonged period of time late at night to wait on a medical consultation
Should say "not to be weird and with all due respect"...

Thanks for the due diligence, it greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause of pain and management

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. Your pain is suggestive of right side cervical nerve compression due to cervical disc or spine changes. Also there is history of similar illness in your family and pain is radiating type, it must be cervical pain.

To confirm the diagnosis and level of compression, you need MRI cervical spine with CVJunction. It will tell you
- The extent of compression
- Site of compression
- Any cord changes
- Any need of surgery

After MRI and evaluating of your nervous system, further plan about medical management or medical and surgical both will be decided. Usually mild compression without any focal deficit and cord changes are treated by medicines only. You can take following medication after proper prescription -

- Tablet Pregabaline 150mg once or twice a day for pain relief.

- If no relief, you can take combination of Pregabaline with Nortriptyline once or twice a day

- For nerve recovery, you can take neuron specific vitamin like B12, folic acid, Pyridoxine, Pentothanic acid.

- S-Adenosylmethionine also helps in treating pain in long term.

- After some relief, consult physiotherapist for stretching and neck muscle exercise. It will prevent recurrence of pain.

- Avoid forward bending and weight bearing. You can use cervical neck collar for some time. Do not use more than 8 hours in a day.

If no relief, even after that and your MRI is suggestive pf significant compression, you can consult spine surgeon for surgical possibilities. Depending upon type of decompression and disc level, surgery will be decided.

Hope it will help. If still in doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D