Suggest remedies for pain caused by a tibia fracture while on Propofol

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Pain Management
Question: Yes, my husband had surgery this pm to put a plate on a broken tibia. He was given propofol as a sedative and when he awoke, he had a lot of pain and shaking. He received torodal and fentanyl through the IC, When the shakes stopped, he was discharged. It is now almost 7 hours since he received those medications. He has started to shake. Is it common to see the shakes return after the fentanyl wears off? Correction to typos above - medication was received via IV in surgical center. Percocets can be taken 1-2 tabs Q4 PRN.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its very common

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Yes,the action of Fentanyl usually wears off in 6-8 hours and the shakes can come back after this time.

You should consult your doctor and ask if he needs another shot of fentanyl.

Personally,in my opinion,he would not need another dose now.

You can continue with the other medications that he has been given.

He should be fine untill tomorrow.

Just keep a watch on his pulse rate,blood pressure and respiratory rate.

If you feel any variations,then you can consult ER immediately.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 11 minutes later
Thank you. Shakes have stopped after the Percocet. No Change in temperature. He is sleeping well now. I will consult with dr. in am, but I agree -- he doesn't want more fentanyl, and he wants to be off Percocet as soon as possible.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are right

Detailed Answer:
Yes. You are right indeed.

He should be off percocet soon.

Wish him a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana