Suggest remedies for pain and swollen throat after tonsillectomy

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i had a tonsillectomy 72 fours ago. Worst 3 days of my life. Doc sent home pain medicine but no antibiotiuc. Is this normal?

i cant barely swallow water it feels like it will not go down because throat is swollen.I cant swallow ice cream
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

Antibiotics are generally recommended to be taken for 1 week after tonsillectomy.
But there might be a possibility that your doctor might have given you injectable high dose Antibiotics for 3 days in the hospital,because of which he wouldn't have felt the need of more dose of Antibiotics.You may discuss about the same with him.

After surgery for tonsil removal,swelling occurs leading to painful swallowing.Swelling and pain are expected to reduce in one week after tonsillectomy.

If you are not able to take oral food,you should take lots of fluids.

For the relief of pain and reducing the swelling,
You may find relief by taking Analgesic with Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen with Serratiopeptidase.
If the swelling is more,one single dose of Steroid can also help in reducing swelling and pain.(You can discuss about these medicines with your doctor).
You should take the above medicine with Antacid like Rantac.

Also do Antiseptic gargles like Betadine.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have follow-up questions.Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D