Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Suggest remedies for pain and fatigue in an elderly person

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 3003 Questions
I am a 68 year old female. I struggle with fatigue. I am 5 foot 3 and weigh 162 pounds. I take no medications, have no history of any major diseases. I am developing some minor arthritis symptoms--sore joints. I also suffer from chronic migraines. Otherwise, I am basically healthy. I seem to be losing some muscle strength as well. I exercise about 3-4 times a week, aerobic walking with my husband. I also do very easy yoga postures 3 or so times a week. I am wondering what I can do to improve my energy levels and ease my pain and fatigue. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First you should investigate the cause.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

In order to know how to possibly deal with fatigue one should first attempt to find out the cause of fatigue. Fatigue is not a very specific symptom, meaning it can be found in the setting of many different conditions, hence management depends on the cause (if a cause can be identified). Being so nonspecific one can't pinpoint the cause based on that symptom alone as it can be found in many different settings, closer investigation is needed.

Among the most common causes of fatigue would be anemia, chronic infections, low thyroid function, rheumatological conditions like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, sleep apnea, diabetes, liver and kidney conditions, myasthenia gravis etc, the list is really long. So if you have not taken any diagnostic steps until now you should contact your primary physician for a physical exam to search for possible signs of such conditions as well as have some screening blood tests like blood count, ESR, CRP, fibrinogen, fasting glucose, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel, thyroid function, vitamin B12 levels, antinuclear antibodies, rheumatoid factor, XXXXXXX antibodies.
Whether other tests are needed or medications will depend on findings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor