Suggest remedies for pain and burning sensation in the tongue

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Pain on my tongue like I burned it
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:

There are lots of pathological causes responsible for your problems. Please clarify some points ;-

1) Do you have burning sensation that most commonly affects your tongue, but may also affect your lips, gums,palate, throat or whole mouth?

2) A sensation of dry mouth with increased thirst?

3)Do you feel change of taste such as bitter or metallic taste?

4)Do you feel loss of taste?

5)Do you feel it whole day or it comes and go?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 days later
Dry mouth with increased thirst
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.

As per your clinical history, it is called as [Burning Mouth Syndrome] so sometimes it comes and go and sometimes it stays up to years. It usually does not harm your tongue at all, so nothing to worry .

It can be classified as primary and secondary as it can be seen due to numerous causes. So please get a clinical examination by your local physician and s/he will rule out following things as mentioned below:-

(1) Dry mouth-This can be due to various medications so try to avoid unnecessary drugs without any pathological causes.

(2) Oral pathology- Your doctor will check for any oral thrush or other pathologies and if any abnormality detected s/he will advise you accordingly.

(3) Nutritional deficit- adding a multivitamin tablets or capsules daily and correct iron and b-complex deficit by giving inject able medications for quick results.

(4) Dental- Do a clinical check up with your dentist for any abnormality present or not.

(5) Allergies- Make a list of foods which are allergic to you, try to avoid such type of foods.

(6) Gastric problem/Stomach acidity- Check if you have this problem if found your doctor will prescribe medication for it.

(7) Endocrine -Please check your fasting blood sugar and thyroid level if found abnormal tell your doctor to add medications for it.

(8) Stress- Try to stay relaxed, don't worry too much

Please discuss with your doctor about it and if you need any further clarification let me know too.

I hope I was able to address your query.

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee