Suggest remedies for occasional premature heart beats

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hello.

I have a new issue with pvcs or skipped beats. I was smoking last week during a stressful period last week. since then I have been getting skipped beats intermittently. Especially when I sit or lay down. it is really starting to make me uneasy and angry. What can I do to stop these or make them go away. I am 43 year old man. 6.3, 230 lbs. I have GAD and these are a major trigger for me.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
If only occasional, then nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Greetings and welcome to HCM. Thank you for your question. I understand your concern.

Well, I understand you may find this disturbing. But occasional premature beats are a normal phenomenon and may happen to everybody during physical exercise, psychological stress or other states that increase the demand on the heart and are associated with flush of adrenalin in the system. Also, excessive smoking can cause this, so I would recommend you to at least lower the amount of cigarettes smoked per day. Understand that premature beats have to be in the amount of over 10 per day, so they can be considered pathological. If decreasing smoking does not help, then propranolol may be tried.

I hope I was helpful with my answer. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up question(s).

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina