Suggest remedies for migraine headache

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: hi I have bad migraine headaches what is good for those
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and as a neurologist dealing with many headache patients would dearly like to help.

There are 2 sides of migraine treatment, treatment of the migraine attack to relieve the pain and preventive treatment to reduce the frequency and severity of the attacks.
Treatment of the acute attack is usually attempted with an over the counter anti-inflammatory drug such as Ibuprofen, Naproxen etc. It is important though to take them as soon as you feel the headache attack is starting, not wait until it reaches its peak, it is more difficult to stop the attack then.
If these over the counter pain killers are not enough then usually the most used class is that of triptans, like sumatriptan, zolmitriptan etc.

Regarding preventive treatment that is daily treatment which is given in case the attacks are frequent, usually more than 2 per month. As I said they aim to reduce the frequency and severity of future attacks, not stop the current attack. There are several classes of medication used like anticonvulsants (valproic acid, topiramate), antidepressants (amitriptyline), beta blockers (propranolol) or calcium channel blockers (verapamil, flunnarizine).

That is what can be said regarding migraine management. Of course that assumes that you are correct in calling them migraines. I would like to remind you that migraine is a throbbing headache, often only on one side, accompanied with nausea and vomiting, sensitivity to sound and light. If your headaches do not correspond to that description though please provide some more information by describing them in as much detail as possible, such as manner of onset and duration, character and location, medications you have tried etc, so that it can be evaluated if it is true migraine or some other type of headache.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.