Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Suggest remedies for meniscus tear in the right knee

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10215 Questions
I am 63 year old female, in good shape,etc I tore my 2 menicus in my right knee and had surgery, prp, and lots of pt in addition to going to the gym on a regular basis. None of these procedures helped. I still can not walk a that far, let alone jog,etc without my knee feeling quite strained and tired (no intense pain). My new ortho would like to give me knee injections of orthovisc? I do not like taking any kind of steroid, drugs,etc Your counsel please?
Thanks, xxxxx
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is similar to an agent that is normally found in the joint spaces

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Orthovisc is not a steroid so you would not have to worry about the potential effects that can occur with steroids.

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) is similar to the hyaluronic acid that is normally found in the joint spaces.
It can act as a lubricant or padding/cushion in the joint spaces

Your doctor is hoping that they would have this effect in your joints, act as a cushion/padding, therefore minimizing the pain that you are experiencing.

The main possible effects would be initial pain at the injection site as well as initial swelling ,bruising, firmness

Since you had surgery and have been exercising with little relief, you should consider the injection to see if it would help you.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor