Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

152 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest remedies for lower back pain caused by bone deterioration in an elderly person

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3132 Questions

Posted on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 60 years of age, and my lower back hurts when a sit, stand or sleeping.
Th Xray shows bone deterioration, according to the body aging process.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this.

Detailed Answer:


Were you told that you have degenerative joint disease of the vertebral column or that there is some osteoporosis (thinning of the bone density)?

I see that you are open to alternative medicine, and so I recommend seeing an experienced practitioner of acupuncture. That can be helpful for musculoskeletal pain. If you don't see some improvement, even slight improvement, within 3 visits, then it may not be helpful for you (or you may need a different practitioner). In my experience, I've found those actually trained in China to be more knowledgeable in this practice.

I also recommend a consult with a physical therapist for stretching and strengthening exercises. Increasing the flexibility and muscular strength can go far to helping decrease the pain.

If the problem is osteoporosis, then you may want to consider a bone density scan to see where things are at, and treat accordingly (either with diet and supplements are more aggressively with Fosamax, etc.).

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can provide further information. Please know that I will be here for a few more minutes and then will be off line until around midnight tonight (Central Standard Time) so if you have a follow up question I'll get back to you then.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on