Suggest remedies for low testosterone levels in men

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am using testosterone due to my natural deficiency.
On my first prescription I read that it should be kept at temperatures between 64.F and 72.F.
I also read that light may negatively affect its strength.
I therefore keep it in a wine cooler at 66F and I wrap it up in aluminum foil.
Wohever I occasionally noticed that new viles seem not to deliver the usual strenght.
Since I am assuming strict quality control at the manufacturing level, I am instead concerned by the treatment that my prescriptions are subjected during storage and or delivery. (exposure to high temp. and light. (Incidentally if manufacturer are concerned about the effect of light on the testosterone, they should NOT package it into standard light cardboard boxes that would not prevent "residual light" to penetrate the thin package walls. Thank you for your attention. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Testosterone

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concerns.

You may wish to discuss this with your prescribing doctor to get his inputs or preferably with the manufacturer or pharmacy.

But here is the main thing:

As long as your blood levels are in the target range, it is concluded that the injections you are receiving from the vials have a proper ingredient which is doing the expected job well.

Sorry to learn about your lack of strength. This could be due to other medical reasons too.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)

25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day.

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist