• question-icon

Suggest remedies for low sodium levels

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is there any medications to control low sodium levels?

YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no drugs for that...

Detailed Answer:

when a patient has hyponatremia, the doctor has to identify the cause. Treating the cause will reverse hyponatremia. There is no particular drug for every case. The only thing that fits your medical history is hyponatremia due to paxil. Paxil and other SSRI drugs may cause it. The only way to get back to normal is to stop this drug. The sodium levels will become normal a few weeks later. Of course, this is something to discuss with your psychiatrist.

Reducing unnecessary fluid intake will also help. No drug though! In case your potassium levels are high (or borderline high) or the aforementioned measures do not correct the problem, investigation for hormonal disorders (adrenal in particular) might be necessary.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis