Suggest remedies for loss of appetite and anxiety while on Clonazepam

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Sleep Disorders
Question: hi i was on cpram 10 mg and spenzo 5 mg for 2 months when my doc changed it to stalopalm lite 10mg for better sleep . its been 2 dys since i am taking this medicine in the nite but it has not improved my sleep. moreover, today i feel a little anxious and loss of apetite . wil this medicine cause any side effect now thats its new ? doctor said no since cpram and spenzo has the same chemical composition as stalopalm lite . Also my sleep is very intermittent. i break out of sleep every 1 hr and i almost remain awake throughout the nite . what should i do about it
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cpram-spenzo and stalopam lite are different

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing us again.

Cpram 10 contains escitalopram and spenzo contains flupenthixol. Spenzo should be 0.5 mg I guess, not 5 mg - please clarify the dose.
Stalopam lite contains escitalopram 10 mg and clonazepam 0.25 mg.
In your case flupenthixol(spenzo) is replaced with clonazepam. This is likely reason that you have some disturbance in sleep and which in turn affects appetite and causes some anxiety.

I recommend using stalopam plus (escitalopram 10 mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg) or adding 0.25 mg more clonazepam to stalopam lite. For better sleep dose of clonazepam should be increased. It can be used up to 2 mg maximum.
Discuss and ask your doctor to change in medications.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 4 minutes later
hi , yes spenzo is 0.5 mg . how long will i experience these symptoms. i feel extremely sleepy and drowsy at work . is it safe to drink moderately on stalopalm lite.? i have couple of functions to attend in the nexyt few dys and would be consuming alcohol. i am not a heavy drinker and would probably take the medicine an hour after i take alcohol . Please let me know how long will i experience these side effects

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
social drinking is fine

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for clarification.

As such there will be no issue if you take alcohol before taking stalopam lite. However more alcohol itself can trouble you. Alcohol is one of the factors for anxiety and sleep problem. You are not regular drinker. I recommend maximum 30 ml of pure whisky on one day to avoid any problem.

Your symptoms are due to chance of the drugs. If dose of clonazepam will be increased, you will be fine within a day or two. If you continue the same medicine , it is difficult to say that symptoms will go away on its own or not.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 7 minutes later
What i meant was when would the side effects go ? in case my symptoms don't go i will speak to the doc to increase the dose

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
these are not side effects

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for clarifying.

What you are suffering are not side effects but they are withdrawal symptoms of spenzo. It means your symptoms are due to replacement of spenzo with clonazepam.
So please speak to your doctor to modify the treatment.

Feel free to discuss further.