Owl Image

Suggest remedies for loose stool while on Microgestin and fibre rich diet ?

Question
Due to excess fiber in my diet (I believe), I've been having loose stools for a couple of days, but not every consecutive day. I take my birth control pill Microgestin, every day at 3:30PM. Yesterday, I had the loose bowel movement about an hour and a half after it, and today I had it about 5 and a half hours after it. The first time it happened this week was also 5 and a half hours after it. Is my birth control pill compromised? Can I still have sex without a condom?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be continued if not severe but depending upon conveince

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been gone through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, microgestin seems to be the culprit as it can cause gastricbsude effects and usually the diarrhea induced by microgestin isn't severe like in your case but it usually doesn't effect the drug absroption to cause below therapeutic range drug levels. Again since it's not a life saving drug, the continuation of drug depends upon your personal conveniences and wieghinf the risks to benefits ratio.

If using barrier mathods is acceptable for you that it's more safer approach with more contraception benefits and theoretically no side effects. The use of High fibre diet doesn't seem to be the cause but if you are using raw vegetables or seeds rich vegetables these may cause gastric irritation. Drinking more water is advisable than usual.

Wishing you a great health. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards