Suggest remedies for loose skin on the roof of the mouth

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Dental Health
Question: My wife has had for months now loose skin on the roof of her mouth, with excess saliva? she is wearing a retainer now it helps
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs more details..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain loose skin or mucous over the roof of mouth that is diagnosed to be a scar tissue seems most probably due to repeated traumatic injury to the roof of mouth causing the mucosa to make an attempt to heal by scarring..
Consult an Oral Surgeon and get evaluated with the biopsy report so that he can do the needful treatment like removing the scar tissue with a minor surgical procedure if it is needed..
Secondly excess salivation or hypersalivation can be felt in 2 cases:
1. Due to increased production.
2.Due to reduced swallowing.

Saliva overproduction can occur due to a number of common causes like oral and throat infections, oral ulcers, acid reflux,excess starch consumption, side effect of medication like clonazepam,pilocarpine, ketamine etc,toxin exposure, while any irritant mside mouth like scar tissue can also trigger salivary glands to produce more saliva etc..

Decreased swallowing can occur due to throat pain caused by infection,tonsillitis,nerve damage etc..

You should consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and a thorough checkup will help in confirming the cause and treatment of the cause will solve the problem..

As of now you can frequently use mouthwash and brushing teeth as it has a drying effect in mouth..

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Thank you we have done the oral portion exams, and with no prognosis. Her oral surgeon can do laser treatment but his results have been mixed . Not enough data to pay the 800.00 for the treatment if it will not work. Her other dentist says it might be a nerve damage thing? Thanks again seems like something that might not get resolved. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Best Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a Neurological Consultation done..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

As per you complain if nerve related problem is suspected then it can be due to conditions that can be related to the nervous system like Parkinsonism, Myesthenia Gravis and Hypoglossal Nerve palsy..

It needs to be evaluated by a Neurologist and investigations like MRI SCAN and CT SCAN can help in ruling out the cause and excluding causes..

It is nothing like that the problem will not resolve but the line of treatment is decided by investigating for the causes and it is started with the common causes and is progressed towards the less common causes..

So do not worry as the condition will be resolved once the problem is ruled out..

Hope this helps..

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar