• question-icon

Suggest remedies for irregular menstrual bleeding

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

My name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX, aged 29, female.

I am looking for birth control pills. Kindly suggest which one would be better and how to use. Also, tell me the side effects.

Also, I suffer from irregular menstrual cycles.

Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Various brands

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Irregular bleeding can be due to many causes like hormonal disturbances, fibroid in the uterus, or lesions in the cervix or vagina.

If all these causes are ruled out, then oral contraceptive pills are preferred treatment to treat irregular periods.

You can take Femilon or Ovral -L tablets for same. These are to be started on day 1 of the periods and continued till 21 days, left for 7 days and again a fresh pack of 21 days has to be started (this is a prescription medication, your Gynaecologist will know about it).
Side effects include weight gain, mood changes, breast engorgement etc.

Exacerbation of migraine, increased blood pressure and deranged sugar levels can occur in females having migraine, hypertension and diabetes respectively.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 10 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for your kind response.
As you have mentioned about the causes of irregular bleeding, also kindly suggest how to know if i am suffering from the same that is hormonal disturbances, fibroid in the uterus, or lesions in the cervix. Is there any tests i need to undergo. If so please mention the test name. I will do the tests and get back to you with the reports

Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX Devarsetty.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Various tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
You should consult an OBGYN specialist for proper interval examination to rule out any lesion in the cervix or vagina, and get a pap smear done.
You should get an ultrasound done to rule out any fibroid in the uterus.
You should also get thyroid and prolactin hormone levels to rule out any hormonal disturbances.
You can get back to me with the reports.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine