Suggest remedies for insomnia

Posted on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: In comparison of Belsomra,Oleptro , Rozerem and zolpidem , which one you recommend to use for insomia
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
for primary insomnia I recommend zolpidem

Detailed Answer:

Insomnia (sleep disturbance) is of two types:

1. Primary: There is problem of only sleep disturbance and no other physical or psychological problem is there. In this case treatment for sleep problem is needed.

2. Secondary: There is some underlying physical or psychological problem which is responsible for sleep disturbance. In this main treatment is done for underlying problem.

First of all try to follow some measures called 'sleep hygiene' which would help in sleep. You can find the same in below link.

sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene

Drinking a cup of warm milk before going to bed helps in 30-40% of patients and they do not need medicines as per my clinical experience.

In any case of primary insomnia my first choice will be zolpidem. It is safer drug with relatively short half life and no major drug interactions as well as no hangover or day time sleepiness.
Second choice will be belsomra and third will be rozerem. If depressive symptoms are there oleptro will be good choice.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist