Suggest remedies for insect bite between the toes

Posted on Thu, 4 Jan 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a probable bug bite between two toes, which seems to have begun to be infected (I think I scratched it in my sleep). I cleaned the area and applied mupirocin (3x/day, this is second day). It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but isn't much better. Should I proceed as I'm doing, or see a doctor? (The area is red and a bit swollen, but not painful -- just a bit stiff -- and looks abraded. There has been a tiny bit of discharge; not much. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can monitor for now

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

You can continue as you are doing unless you are a diabetic that is not well controlled.
Diabetics are at an increased risk of a simple infection becoming problematic

Swelling and redness are part of the body's inflammatory response and are expected, they would normally decrease within the first 48 to 72 hours

Clean twice daily with an antiseptic and apply the antibiotic

Even though there is no pain, you should consider the use of anti inflammatory medication such as naproxen or ibuprofen to reduce the inflammatory response (if you can use these meds)

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Will do, thanks much! Can't NSAIDs, but can do everything else, and am not diabetic.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
HI

Great, if there are any other queries, can let me know

Michelle
Dr. Michelle Gibson James