question-icon

Suggest remedies for infected nose hair follicle

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016
Question: i have an infected nose hair follicle for 4 or 5 days. It is red and swollen even on the outside of my nose. I also feel like general dull aching pain in front of neck on both sides and ears (pain comes and goes and is very slight).
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I suggest an oral antibiotic for a week

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

i am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern

You seem to have a furuncle/boil which is a skin and soft tissue infection. Pain in neck and ear is most likely due to swollen cervical abd preauricular lymph glands draining the infected area.

I would suggest an oral antibiotic e.g either amoxicillin 500mg or cephalexin 500mg, three times daily, for a week Or 10 days This would help resolve the infection.

In addition you may take an oral antiinflammatory/ painkiller e.g ibuprofen tablets, twice or thrice daily, for symptomatic pain relief and to bring down the swelling.

Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist