Suggest remedies for high fever

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Infections
Question: I have very high fever from last night (103-104F). However, I feel no discomfort/weakness or any other fever related symptoms. I am wondering now whether my thermometer is wrong! Is it possible to have such high fever without any symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's unusual

Detailed Answer:

I wouldn't say it's strange but it's unusual. Sometimes the symptoms may be so mild that the patient does not report any! The higher the fever the less likely for the symptoms to be mild.

You can double check your thermometer but keep in mind that faulty thermometers usually measure lower temperatures, not higher ones. I was wandering, why did you check your temperature?

Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 minutes later
I checked my temperature because I was having cough, headache and feeling weak. However I feel completely alright now, but still the temperature shows 103F. I also have normal appetite.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
these symptoms are enough...

Detailed Answer:
High fever with cough, headache and weakness are enough! Sometimes during the course of an infection you may not feel that bad, particularly if you've used paracetamol (acetaminophen) or similar drugs.

High fever and cough requires careful medical assessment to exclude serious infections like pneumonia for example.

Is your thermometer an electronic one? Does it contain mercury? If it's a mercury thermometer you have to be careful to reset the level of mercury before the next measurement, otherwise you may get false readings.

Sorry for the delayed response...
Kind Regards!