• question-icon

Suggest remedies for high fever, drooling and sore throat in a child

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My son XXXXXXX had a fever of 104.6 this morning at 8:30 we took him to the doctors I was told he had strep throat which he has had once before. Now since then the fever has still been very high its highest was at 2:30am the next morning it was 105.6 and it only went down to 104.5 now I'm very concerned about this and his very loud crying and screaming when his fever is really high. Also he has been drooling a lot and a lot of saliva has been coming out.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nature of the disease process to drool

Detailed Answer:
I know how concerned a parent is when the mercury touches over 104. This is part of the disease process.
Sorethroat by strep causing a lot of swelling of the throat tissues which are thin and have space between them to swell up. There is inflammation with redness, swelling and pain. The person cannot swallow the saliva so they start drooling.

I hope he is already on antibiotics for strep sore throat, if so you do not have to worry. He would have been put on some NSAID, pain medicines as well, is he? Salt water gargles can ease the pain and swelling. Since your son is an adolescent he will soon get over it.

Let me know if you have other concerns and I can address them soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar