Suggest remedies for high blood pressure
Im relatively young man , i try to exercise 2-3 times a week , my family has high blood pressure problems.
I am concerned about my blood pressure,
I often measure my bp and its many times elevated
Last night i went to bed at 9 pm and woke up
Around 2 am and could not fall asleep.
I checked my bp ,138 over 86
I took 81 mg aspirin and tried to sleep but
Had horrible time staying asleep .
This scenario happens to me few times a month ,
However many times i check my bp during the day
And it reads around the same .
The highest i have seen it was 167 over 95 .
I am concerned about going on bp meds ,
I like to take viagra which recently I had to increase
The dose cause its not working on me as it did before , some time i like to drink alcohol too.
I am worried if my doc puts me on bp meds
I will not be able to take viagra or drink .
So certainly thought of me loosing those things
Are horrifying for me .
Can you please tell me your thoughts ,
Btw , I do not smoke cigarettes, although once or twice a month i would smoke few socially but i do not inhale . I use to smoke for years , but have stopped
About 10 years ago.
I would explain as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your blood pressure values are above the normal ranges.
In this condition, anti-hypertensive drugs are necessary to help you manage better your blood pressure.
Regarding Viagra intake, I would explain that Viagra can lead to low blood pressure as an adverse effect.
It is not contraindicated to take Viagra while on antihypertensive drugs, but it should be used with caution because of possible low blood pressure when these drugs are used concomitantly.
But there is a way to avoid this possible adverse effects. You should lower the dose of antihypertensive drugs the day that you are going to take Viagra. This way, you will avoid possible low blood pressure.
From the other hand alcohol like viagra can lower your blood pressure too. I would give the same advice of reducing the doses of antihypertensive drugs the day that you are planning to drink alcohol.
I would also recommend some lifestyle changes which can help you manage better your blood pressure besides antihypertensive drugs:
- diet modifications (low salt and caffeine intake)
- perform a lot of physical activity (walking, aerobics, gym, recreational sports, etc.)
- try to reduce your weight if you are overweight.
You should discuss with your doctor on the possibility of starting antihypertensive therapy and the best drug choice. A routine check up is needed to exclude other possible causes of high blood pressure:
- a resting ECG
- a lung X ray study
- blood lab tests (complete blood count, PCR, sedimentation rate, fasting glucose, thyroid hormone levels, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests).
Hope to have been helpful!
Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!
of going around the BP therapy little bit.
As far as weight management , I am 5'7 ( Ft ) and I weigh 173 lbs
I certainly would like to weigh less more towards 160-165
I try to twice a day , Breakfast in the morning ( usually Cereal )
and around 2-3 PM I'll have a filling dinner ( usually home cooked and My
wife does not add salt ) In the evening I try to snack on some nuts , maybe an apple or two and water with loads of vitamin C.
I usually consume a mega dose of vitamin C , 5000 mg -10000 mg per day.
I lead a sitting life style , so when I can I try to exercise at home .
Usually I exercise 3-5 times per week but I am not sure if it has any effect on my BP. I do some weight lifting , I do about 12-15 pull ups , then I walk for about 45-60 minutes during which I elevate my pulse to about 155-165 by running for maybe about 7-10 minutes and then rest of the time I walk and my pulse is between 120-140
I have very difficult time loosing weight , It just does not want to come off .
I usually stay pretty stable between 169 lbs and 174 lbs .
can you share some more observations about my lifestyle and give me your
opinion on what I can do to improve my cardiovascular health.
And also what vitamins I can take to perhaps lower BP ?
I would recommend as follows:
Thank you for the additional information!
I carefully reviewed all your daily lifestyle and would admit that you have a really healthy lifestyle.
I would recommend continuing your daily diet and physical activity as even if you can not make the difference, it is really helpful (you would make the difference if you changed your routine for a while, and you would feel worse).
You are not really overweight and there is no emergent need to loose some pounds.
There is no vitamin, approved by data based evidence to really lower blood pressure. Vitamin K2 and fish oil supplements have shown to slightly reduce blood pressure.
From the other hand, I would recommend increasing some foods in your diet, which can help you reduce naturally your blood pressure:
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- almonds and cashews
- green tea
- fish (white meat, especially fish is more healthy than red meat)
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the remedy for dizziness with high blood pressure
- Suggest treatment for high blood pressure
- High blood pressure on bp medication suggestion
- Dizziness nausea high blood pressure suggestions
- Home remedies to reduce high-blood pressure
- High blood pressure remedies
- What is the remedy for high blood pressure when pregnant
- Chest pains high blood pressure back pain suggest me remedy
- High blood pressure in a teen please suggest
- What is the remedy for high blood pressure
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?