Suggest remedies for herniated disc in L5
It will not go away by itself and symptoms can be treated
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. The lumbar spine has 5 small bones aligned on top of each other, these are numbered L1 through L5. There are small foramen between these bones. There are spongy discs between these bones, the discs are numbered L1-L2, L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1. On the back side of the vertebral column there is a space containing the spinal cord. Nerves come out of the spinal cord and pass through the foramen at the level of the disc and supply different regions.
2. The discs get degenerated and herniated in to the spinal canal. This backward displacement of disc is called disc bulge and it presses on the nerve at the disc level. Therefore you have got the disc bulge at levels ?L5-S1 causing pressure on the nerual foramen at these levels. This presssure on nerves is causing pinching and symptoms like numbness and tingling. The nerve pinching in lumbar region causes symptoms in legs.
3. It will not go away by itself and symptoms can be treated. Treatment is with physiotherapy and medicines in mild disc problems and many people feel have a quick recovery phase.
Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Mri l4-l5 herniated disc
- Suggest treatment for pain due to herniated disc
- What is the remedy for herniated disc
- Stretches for l5 herniated disc
- L4-l5 herniated disc
- I have had a herniated disc please suggest
- Complications of herniated disc l4 and l5
- Sleeping with l4 l5 herniated disc
- Central herniated disc l4-l5
- Thinning l5 s1 herniated disc