Suggest remedies for heart palpitations

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have noticed that after some exercise - or after a long stressful day at the office - when I am trying to fall asleep & when I wake up from sleeping - my heart seems to be pumping harder or faster than normal- is this a cause for concern? I used to notice this after very streneous exercise - but now even after some mild exercise I'll notice this phenomena. Then after 5 or 10 minutes - my heart rate seems to go back to normal. Is this a heart disease of some sort?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all what you're experiencing isn't necessarily related to cardiac issues. In most of the cases is normal heart reaction to exercise and stress.

Secondly when you lay down to sleep it's normal to feel the heart especially in stressful days due to quietness during night.

Thirdly in the first hours of the day due to excessive adrenaline release in the morning the heart is pumping faster and harder.

However in order to definitely exclude any cardiac problems I would recommend to do the following examinations:
- Blood work
- Ecg
- Cardiac echo
- Holter monitoring
- Stress test

If the above mentioned exams will be normal you have nothing to fear and your symptoms are an excessive perception of normal heart work.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu

Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 2 days later
Thank you for your response. Last year I underwent the heart tests that you recommended. The doctor said that my results were ok.

1. However, it just concerns me that i awaken at times while asleep with a racing heart - due to stress/anxiety. I don't want to damage the heart muscle. Is that possible?

2. Maybe mediation or other relaxation techniques are in order? Will they help? I also want to avoid medication if possible.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Your symptoms most likely are related to anxiety. If the above mentioned exams were normal you shouldn't worry there's no chance of heart damage.

It's a well known fact that mediation techniques, yoga and cognitive behaviour therapy are of great in relieving stress and anxiety. Moreover these techniques will reduce the need for medical therapy.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu