Suggest remedies for hand foot and mouth disease

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello; I believe my grandson has developed Hand, Foot and MOUTH disease. He has all the symptoms and feel awful for what he is enduring . He is such a trooper at 16 months old. Is THERE ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO HELP WITH THIS TO GET HIM RELIEF ?
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic treatment may help

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Hand, foot, and mouth disease is caused by a virus and does not respond to antibiotics. It is a frequent infection in young children and causes blisters in the mouth, hands, feet, and sometimes rear end. These of course can be painful and mouth blisters may make it difficult for him to eat and keep a good fluid balance.

It is important to get this diagnosis confirmed by his doctor and also be sure it is not something else that could respond to treatment. Rarely, the virus can cause more serious problems (usually more so in adults), so it would be good that his doctor is aware of it. The doctor could also prescribe medicine to help control the symptoms, for instance, a numbing liquid for his mouth, pain medicine, etc. Children's ibuprofen could be helpful- ask the doctor about the correct dose for his age and weight. There might also be some kind of cream for his skin blisters that the doctor can prescribe. Also, be careful yourself while taking care of him, as you could acquire the virus. Wash your hands frequently, especially before and after handling him.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T