Suggest remedies for granular myringitis in the left ear

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: HI I was detected with granular myringitis in my left ear and asked to have a surgery and be 21 days inspection afterwards.I work outside XXXXXXX hence staying back for 21 days is not easy.I also dont prefer surgery.Is there any other option to treat this.There was puss coming from my ear that prompted me to have a checkup done.
There is no puss for last 2 months.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Granular myringitis does not need surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Granular myringitis does not need surgery and can be managed with antibiotic steroid drops and oral antibiotics alone.

Only if you have a hole in your ear drum then surgery may be required.

Please discuss this with your doctor

Take care!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 15 minutes later
He did mention that there was also a hole in the eardrum. Does that need surgery and how complicated is it. Also can it be finished within 10 days including followup inspection.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes a hole needs surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes, a hole in the ear drum needs surgery. If the hole is small, then the surgery can be done fast and a follow up can be done in 10 days. However if the hole is large then a longer follow up for 3 to 6 weeks is required. Please discuss this with your doctor.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 23 hours later
Can the Hole be treated after a year or so as I dont have enough time now.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it can be treated later

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes it can be treated later, but please remember that there is chance for the infection to keep recurring because of the hole and can lead to some hearing loss.

You will need rest for 2-3 weeks , so you should plan accordingly!

Take care!